A Wells Fargo savings account is a good way to start your children on the road to financial success.
Help your kids achieve their financial goals with a Wells Fargo savings account.
A Wells Fargo Way2Save® Savings account requires a $25 minimum opening deposit and has no monthly service fees for account holders under 18 (19 in Alabama).
There are several options on how to set up savings accounts for kids:
- Joint ownership. This option gives your child the ability to use the savings account while you monitor account activity. Both you and your child can make deposits and withdrawals. An optional ATM card is available for your child. The account may be linked to a Wells Fargo Debit Card.
- Minor by. This option gives your child access to their funds at age 18. Your child can make deposits. You can make deposits and withdrawals, as well as link the account to a Wells Fargo Debit Card to the account. In the future, if you wish to allow your child to make withdrawals or have an optional ATM card prior to age 18, request to change your child to a joint owner.
- Child (sole). This option grants your child sole access to make deposits and withdrawals, as well as the option to have an ATM card. Wells Fargo Online® access is available when your child reaches age 13. Adding a beneficiary on the account is recommended.
- Uniform Transfers/Gifts to Minors Act (UTMA/UGMA). This option is for adults making an irrevocable gift to a child. One adult custodian has sole control and access to the funds until the child reaches an age defined by your state's Uniform Transfers/Gifts to Minors Act (typically age 18).
Benefits for children:
- Their own savings account where they can watch their savings grow
Benefits for parents:
- Free online transfers between Wells Fargo accounts, so you can transfer your child's allowance, create a savings matching program, and much more
- Free and convenient online statements to help teach money management
What you'll need:
Visit a Wells Fargo location to open an account.
- Child must either present a driver's license, if they have one, or be accompanied by a Wells Fargo customer who is an adult and has an account that has been open for more than 60 days.
- In addition, you must present one of the following:
- Child's Social Security card
- Child's birth certificate
- Child's immunization record
- Child's school photo ID
- Child's passport/alien ID
Visit a Wells Fargo location to open a savings account for your child today. Find a Store
Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. Member FDIC.