1. Activate your debit card by phone or at a Wells Fargo ATM
- Call 1-877-294-6933 from your home or mobile phone.
- Or use your card at any Wells Fargo ATM and enter your Personal Identification Number (PIN). (If you don’t already have a PIN, it will be mailed to you separately from your card.)
2. Sign your card and destroy any temporary cards
- Be sure to sign the back of your card immediately.
- If you received a temporary debit card when you opened your account, please destroy it as soon as you activate your permanent debit card.
3. Use your debit card as a safer, convenient way to access your money
- Make purchases and pay bills worldwide at participating retailers and service providers ― including online or by phone.
- Use your card to get cash, make deposits, and more at 13,000 Wells Fargo ATMs.
Frequently asked questions
Is it important to activate my debit card?
Yes, activating your debit card as soon as you receive it in the mail is a necessary step for you to use your card, and an important step to help protect yourself from fraud.
Can I activate my debit card online?
The ability to activate your debit card online is currently not available. However, you can activate your card by calling 1-877-294-6933 from your home or mobile phone or use your card at any Wells Fargo ATM and enter your PIN. (If you don’t already have a PIN, it will be mailed to you separately from your card.
How does Wells Fargo help protect my debit card?
Your Wells Fargo Debit Card comes with Zero Liability protection at no extra cost. This means you won’t be responsible for unauthorized purchases or ATM transactions if you report them promptly.
We also help prevent unauthorized transactions by regularly reviewing your accounts, and we’ll notify you immediately if we suspect unusual activity. If your financial information is ever compromised or stolen, we provide the information and assistance necessary to help you get your account back on track.
How can I better protect myself and my debit card?
There are several things that you can do to protect yourself when using your debit card.
- Be cautious. When you use your debit card at any sales counter or ATM, be aware when people are near or behind you. To keep others from seeing your PIN, you can use your hand or body to shield their view of the keypad.
- Sign up for alerts. Our debit card alerts help you stay informed about unusual activity on your debit card. You can set up alerts to notify you when your card:
- Is used for an online, phone, or mail order purchase
- Is used in an international location
- Exceeds the puchase amount that you set
- Exceeds the daily ATM withdrawal amount that you set
- Monitor your account regularly. With Wells Fargo Online® you can securely access your accounts and keep track of your transactions and balances at anytime. You can do this via your computer, tablet, or mobile device. You don’t need a smartphone; we offer a text banking option that works with older mobile devices as well.
- Register your debit card. You can get added protection ― at no additional cost ― when you shop online. Just register your Wells Fargo Visa® Debit Card with Verified by Visa.
- Learn more about protecting your identity and funds. Start by reviewing these helpful Fraud Prevention Tips.
If you suspect any fraudulent activity on your debit card, call us immediately at 1-800-869-3557.
What should I do if I haven’t received my debit card or my PIN?
Please call us immediately at 1-800-869-3557 if you haven’t received your debit card.
If you do not already have a PIN, you will receive it separately from your card. If you receive your card but you do not receive your PIN, please visit your nearest Wells Fargo store.
See all ATM and Debit Card Questions