Navegó a una página que no está disponible en español en este momento. Seleccione el enlace si desea ver otro contenido en español.

Página principal

Disaster Assistance and Property Damage

Has a natural disaster, storm, accident, or other event damaged your home? Or caused you financial hardship?

Our team can help with your disaster recovery.

If you experience a financial hardship or property damage from a disaster, we may be able to help with flexible mortgage and home equity payment options. If you’ve been affected by a FEMA-declared disaster, we can discuss available options with you for making payments. We encourage you to continue making regular payments, if possible. We’ll work with you to explore all your options.

Key takeaway

If you have property damage, contact your homeowner’s insurance company to report it. Next, call our Disaster Assistance team at 1-866-826-4902 (Mortgage) or 1-877-592-0185 (Home Equity) after you file your claim. For general questions about disaster recovery, call us at 1-888-818-9147 (Mortgage) or 1-866-355-1540 (Home Equity).

How to make insurance claims and repairs

Step 1 — Contact your insurance company

Your first step is to contact your insurance company and file a claim with them.

To avoid delays, clarify with the insurance company how the check will be made out:

  • If there is an outstanding mortgage or home equity loan, the servicer’s name should be listed as a payee.
  • If the loan was paid off, the servicer’s name shouldn’t appear; the property owner should be listed.
  • If a borrower listed as a payee can’t sign the insurance check, call us for information about the documentation we’ll need to proceed.

Step 2 — Contact Wells Fargo

Call us at 1-866-826-4902 (Mortgage) or 1-877-592-0185 (Home Equity) after you file your insurance claim. We’ll provide important details on how to process your check and how we’ll be involved in the process to restore your home.

Note: The numbers above are for insurance claims only. For general questions about disaster recovery, call us at 1-888-818-9147 (Mortgage) or 1-866-355-1540 (Home Equity).

Step 3 — Endorse the insurance check and start the repair process

Notify us when you get your check, or visit our insurance claim check websites. We’ll give you information to move forward with repairs. Be sure to include your loan number on the check when you endorse it.

Significant Damage

For many situations, we’ll monitor the progress of repairs to your home.

For property repairs that we monitor, you’ll need to endorse the insurance claim check and send it to us. When you call us or visit one of the insurance claim check websites noted above, we’ll give you information on how to sign and send the check to us.

In most situations, once we receive the required documents, we’ll send the repair checks payable to you to pay the contractors you hired. This process helps protect you from potential fraud or incomplete repairs. Payments are made in increments during the process:

  1. After the initial documentation is received
  2. When repairs are 25% or more complete, and a progress inspection has been completed
  3. When repairs are finished and have been inspected

Popular questions

Why is Wells Fargo listed on my insurance claim check?

As the mortgage servicer, Wells Fargo is listed on your homeowners insurance policy and on insurance claim checks, because we have a financial interest in the property. We want to help you through the property repair process and see that it is restored to its original condition.

How do I endorse the insurance check and start the repair process?

When you receive your insurance check, you’ll notice that Wells Fargo is named on it. As the mortgage servicer, we have a financial interest to see that your property is restored. Notify us as soon as you get your check, and we will provide you the information to get started.

What happens if I don’t sign the insurance claim check?

If we receive a claim check that you have not endorsed, we will return it to you to be signed. Be sure to write your mortgage loan number on the check. We can’t begin the home recovery process until we receive the endorsed check and all required paperwork.

What should I do if my contractor needs more funds to start or continue property repairs?

We’ll ask the contractor to submit a written request to us. The request should be signed by both the contractor and you. We’ll review the request and determine whether additional funds may be released.

Why does Wells Fargo pay for the repairs in increments?

For property repairs that we monitor, we release the funds in partial payments as repairs are completed. For some situations, such as minor property damage, the insurance claim funds may be endorsed entirely to the homeowner.

Why does Wells Fargo have to inspect the property for the insurance funds to be released?

We may order and pay for inspections of the work to make sure that the home is being restored. We do this to confirm that the contractor completes the work before getting the full payment.

Can I use the insurance funds from a property damage claim to pay off my mortgage?

Yes, if the claim amount exceeds the amount required to pay the mortgage in full. Our customer service team can give you the payoff quote. Please send the endorsed claim check with a letter authorizing Wells Fargo to use the funds to pay off the mortgage. If the amount of the check is less than the amount owed on your mortgage, please include a certified check for the difference. Note that we’re not able to apply claim funds to delinquent mortgage payments.

What if I don’t use all the insurance money for the repairs?

Any remaining money can be refunded to you as long as:

  • All repairs listed on the adjuster's worksheet are complete
  • A 100% inspection has been received by Wells Fargo
  • Contractors and workers have been paid

Note: Your mortgage must be current for you to get a refund.

Long-term recovery after disaster assistance ends

If you’re still having financial difficulty at the end of the disaster assistance, contact us for a confidential review of options to help with payment challenges. No matter how significant your property damage — even with a complete loss of your home — we’ll work with you to review your options.

For help after the disaster assistance ends, please contact us at:


Mon - Fri: 7 am - 10 pm

Sat: 8 am - 2 pm

Central Time

Still have questions?

Call Us


Mon – Fri: 7 am – 10 pm
Sat: 8 am – 2 pm  
Central Time 

Home Equity

Mon – Thurs: 7 am – 7 pm
Fri: 7 am – 5 pm
Central Time

Other Wells Fargo accounts