This form is used by a nonresident alien who qualifies for exemption from certain withholding taxes on corporate dividends. In addition to the basic W-8, other variations of the form may be used:
- W-8BEN (Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding)
- W-8ECI (Certificate of Foreign Person's Claim That Income Is Effectively Connected With the Conduct of a Trade or Business in the United States)
- W-8CE (Notice of Expatriation and Waiver of Treaty Benefits)
Avoid delays in processing your application
For all documents you’re asked to provide:
- Make sure the copies you send are legible.
- Do not include documents that have been altered with correction fluid or by other means.
- Submit the entire requested document and include all pages (even blank ones).