To provide grants to non-profit organizations in support of various charitable causes including education, health services, religious organizations, social welfare programs, the environment, and areas within the arts, culture, and humanities.
Limited to 501(c)(3) organizations, primarily located in Pennsylvania, which support various charitable causes.
There are no geographic limitations; however, the trust has a practice of primarily supporting organizations located in the state of Pennsylvania.
Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.
- To be eligible, organizations must qualify as exempt organizations under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Applications must be submitted through the online grant application form or alternative accessible application designed for assistive technology users.
The trust does not fund requests for:
- Political or church support
- Fundraising dinners or athletic events
Preference may be given to requests for the following:
- Education – Paramount consideration is given to educational organizations and institutions, including broad scholarship programs and libraries.
- Social Welfare – Broad-based agencies which provide assistance to the elderly, youth, indigent, and homeless.
Average grant size: $3,000 to $7,000
Average number of grants per year: 30
Application period and deadlines
Applications are accepted year-round; however, applications must be submitted by March 1 to be reviewed at the annual grant meeting in April.
Applicants will receive an automated email confirming their submission.
Required agreements and reports
Except as otherwise specified when a grant is awarded, a progress report must be submitted within 6 months after receiving funds.
About the Foundation
In 1969, Caroline Sanders of Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania established a trust that would ultimately exist in perpetuity to support charitable causes. Today, the Caroline J. S. Sanders Trust 2 makes grants in support of educational programs, and social programs serving the elderly, youth, indigent, and homeless.