To provide grants to qualified 501(c)(3) organizations supporting education, animal welfare, medical research, and human services.
May 31 and October 31
Grants are made to educational institutions at the college and university level, animal welfare organizations, medical research organizations, and humanitarian organizations.
Grants for education and animal welfare are restricted to Los Angeles City or Los Angeles County, California. There are no geographic limitations for medical research and human services grants.
Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.
The John and Maria Laffin Trust awards grants to organizations supporting education, animal welfare, medical research, and human services, as follows:
- 20% Education Funds shall be granted to educational institutions at the college and university level in the Los Angeles City and County areas that are dedicated to maintaining and raising the standards of scholastic excellence.
- 30% Animal Related Funds shall be granted to animal welfare organizations or foundations within Los Angeles City and County that are demonstrably dedicated to the preservation and humane placement of abandoned and/or homeless small domesticated animals.
- 25% Medical Research Funds shall be granted to medical research organizations that do not exclude from consideration any alternative or seemingly radical and/or controversial treatment that the American Medical Association may currently oppose.
- 25% Human Services Funds shall be granted to humanitarian organizations to alleviate human misery, suffering, and starvation in any part of the world.
- To be eligible, organizations must qualify as exempt organizations under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Applications must be submitted through the online grant application form, or alternative accessible application designed for assistive technology users.
Average grant size: $2,000 to $40,000
Average number of grants per year: 25
Application period and deadlines
Applications are accepted year-round, however applications must be submitted by May 31 and October 31 to be reviewed at the semi-annual grant meetings that occur each July and November.
Applicants will receive an automated email confirming their submission. Grant decisions are generally communicated by August and December for applications received by the deadline.
Except as otherwise specified when a grant is awarded, a progress report must be submitted within 6 months after receiving funds.
About the Foundation
The John and Maria Laffin Trust was created under the Will of Valentina Laffin in honor of her parents. The Trust provides support for education at the college and university level, animal welfare, medical research, and human services. Ms. Laffin died on March 19, 1985. She was a lifelong resident of Los Angeles, California.