To provide funding in perpetuity for charitable, religious, scientific, literary, and educational causes in central Virginia, primarily Richmond, Virginia.
Arts, culture, and humanities
There are no program limitations, but the foundation has a practice of primarily supporting education, health, human services, public/society benefit and religion located in the Central Virginia area, primarily Richmond, Virginia.
There are no geographic limitations; however, the foundation has a practice of primarily supporting organizations located in central Virginia, primarily Richmond, Virginia.
Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.
The Dennis Foundation awards grants exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, literary, or educational purposes.
- To be eligible, organizations must qualify as exempt organizations under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Applications must be submitted through the online grant application form or alternative accessible application designed for assistive technology users.
The Grantor requested, but did not direct that preference be given to the following organizations:
- Retreat Hospital, Richmond, Virginia
- Sheltering Arms Hospital, Mechanicsville, Virginia
- Children's Hospital, Richmond, Virginia
- Virginia Home, Richmond, Virginia
- Virginia Home for Boys and Girls, Richmond, Virginia
- St. James Protestant Episcopal Church, Richmond, Virginia
- Virginia Diocesan Home, Richmond, Virginia
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Richmond, Virginia
- Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond, Virginia
- Jewish Family Services, Inc., Richmond, Virginia
- Friends Association for Children, Richmond, Virginia
Average grant size: $500 to $5,000
Average number of grants per year: 30
Average total giving per year: $69,100
Application period and deadlines
Applications are accepted year-round. Applications must be submitted by September 15 to be reviewed at the annual grant meeting that occurs in October.
Applicants will receive an automated email confirming their submission. Grant decisions are generally communicated by December for applications received by the deadline.
Required agreements and reports
A progress report must be submitted within 6 months after receiving funds.
About the Foundation
The Dennis Foundation was established by Benjamin Dennis, Jr. under a trust agreement dated June 2, 1966. Mr. Dennis lived in Richmond, VA, and his principal business activity was Dominion Oil Company. The company, which he owned jointly with his brother, was a major distributor of fuel oil products for local industry, residences, and retail gasoline outlets. Mr. Dennis was also Chairman of the Board of Directors of Southern Bank and Trust Company which is now Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. His legacy of philanthropy continues though his charitable foundation.