Navegó a una página que no está disponible en español en este momento. Seleccione el enlace si desea ver otro contenido en español.

Página principal

Other Frequently Asked Questions

Your tax return is filed, and the tax season is over. But there may still be lingering questions about your return. Maybe you’re not sure when your refund is coming, or how to pay your tax bill. Or you might have received an audit letter from the IRS.

Here are the answers to some common questions about tax filing, payments, refunds and more.

What do I do if I’m audited?

The IRS may contact you if they see any kind of discrepancy on your return. In some cases they may also write just to confirm something you reported. The issue can usually be resolved by sending them an explanation or even calling them on the phone. It’s important to read their notice carefully and respond by the deadline given. If you’re unsure how to respond, contact a tax professional.

If you have more questions about an audit, consult the IRS Audit FAQ.

What are my options if my tax bill is more than I can afford?

If you can’t pay your tax bill all at once, there is an installment option. You should still file your return by the deadline, and then apply for an installment agreement, under which you’ll pay the IRS gradually over a period of time. If you prefer to file through the mail, you can fill out Federal Form 9465 and send it to the office indicated on the form’s instructions.

I’m owed a refund. When do I get my tax refund?

If you electronically filed your taxes, you can generally expect your refund within 10-21 days. But the IRS doesn’t guarantee you a timely issue of your refund check or deposit. You can use the IRS Refund Status page to track your refund.

How do I check on my tax refund?

The first thing to remember with IRS refunds is, be patient. Refunds can come quickly or take months. Use the Refund Status page on the IRS website to track your refund. If you feel certain your refund is not coming or has been forgotten, consult the IRS About Refunds page, which includes a list of phone numbers to call.

Where is my state refund?

Each state processes and issues refunds on a separate schedule. The best way to check on your state refund is to access the website for your state’s tax board, department of taxation or other state tax regulatory department.  The IRS provides links to many of these sites on their State Links page.

I requested a direct deposit of my refund. When will my tax refund be direct deposited?

Tax refund direct deposit dates depend on your bank or other financial institution. If your account is with Wells Fargo, we will add your direct deposit amount to your available balance on the same business day we receive your deposit from the IRS. The cut off time is 4:00pm Monday-Thursday and 6:00pm Friday, local time.

If you were expecting a direct deposit of your refund and have not received it, or there was an error in the direct deposit amount, please contact the IRS directly at 1-800-829-1040.

I owe money on my taxes from last year. Will I still get my refund this year?

The IRS will most likely automatically subtract any past due amounts from your refund. However, you should never treat your refund as a substitute for a payment owed. The IRS may withhold refunds if you still owe taxes. They may also apply interest and penalties on your bill.

Who can I contact with questions about my Wells Fargo tax documents?

  • Checking, Savings, or CD (Time Account): 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557)
  • Destination® IRA (Retirement CDs and savings accounts eligible for FDIC insurance): 1-800-BEST-IRA


  • Mortgage: 1-800-357-6675
  • Home Equity: 1-866-820-9199
  • Small Business: 1-800-225-5935
  • WellsTrade®: 1-800-TRADERS (1-800-872-3377)
  • Wells Fargo Advisors Full Service Brokerage Accounts: Contact your Financial Advisor or call 1-866-281-7436

For more information, consult our Wells Fargo Tax Documents FAQ.

Will I continue to receive copies of Wells Fargo tax documents in the mail if I viewed them online?

You will still receive a copy of your tax document in the mail if the delivery preference for your eligible account is set to “Mail.” If the delivery preference for your eligible account is set to “Online,” you will not receive a paper copy in the mail and your tax document will be viewable only through Wells Fargo Online®. To update delivery preference options for your tax documents, sign on to Wells Fargo Online.

Why was I taxed on my state refund?

You don’t have to pay tax on your state refund unless you received a tax benefit by claiming the payment as an itemized deduction in a previous tax year. When this happens, you’re taxed, and it may seem like you’ve been ‘taxed twice.’ This is because you claimed a deduction for a payment that was returned to you as a refund. If you didn’t claim the state tax payment as a deduction, you don’t have to report the refund as income.

Will I have to pay tax on the Social Security benefit I receive?

If your “combined income” (consisting of your adjusted gross income plus nontaxable interest plus one half of your Social Security benefit) is more than $25,000 for a single person or more than $32,000 for married filing joint taxpayers, the Social Security benefit will start to be taxable.  The maximum social security benefit that will ever be taxed at your marginal income tax rate is 85%.

I just received an email saying the IRS needed to confirm my personal information. Should I respond?

No. The IRS never contacts you by email to verify information. If there’s a problem with your return, the IRS will always contact you by mail. You can report unauthorized emails to

Now that I’m done with my taxes, when should I start next year’s?

The IRS usually accepts electronically filed returns as early as mid-January. It’s always a good idea to start preparing your return early in case you run into a problem. You might also find you’re missing a form from a financial institution or an employer. It can take time to gather these forms.