Navegó a una página que no está disponible en español en este momento. Seleccione el enlace si desea ver otro contenido en español.

Página principal

How to Report Identity Theft

Identity theft is when someone uses your personal information to open new accounts.

If you believe you are a victim (or potential victim) of identity theft, follow these steps to help you to protect yourself.

Step 1. Determine if it’s identity theft or a data breach

Signs of identity theft include new accounts that you didn't apply for, or unusual activity on our credit report that you don't recognize.

A data breach is when your personal information has been leaked or stolen from an organization that holds your data. Data breaches may put you at risk of identity theft.

Significant data breaches are often reported on in the news. In addition, companies who are aware a data breach has occurred with their data may reach out to you directly informing you that your personal information may have been compromised.

If you are the victim of suspected identify theft, continue to Step 2.

If you suspect that you are the victim of identity theft, or your personal information was involved in a data breach, consider placing a credit freeze or fraud alert on your credit file with the three credit bureaus. See more ways to help protect your identity after a data breach.

Step 2. Contact Wells Fargo right away

Wells Fargo customers should call us immediately at 1-800-869-3557.

We will work with you to understand the situation and advise you how to protect your Wells Fargo accounts.

If you need assistance, we accept all relay calls, including 711.

Step 3. Download the Wells Fargo Identity Theft Assistance Kit

The Identity Theft Assistance Kit English (PDF) provides a checklist to help you keep track of the companies and organizations you should contact when you believe you are a victim of identity theft.

Step 4. Contact the credit bureaus

Contact one of the three credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your credit report. 

The credit bureau you contact will notify the others to add the fraud alert to your report. 

Fraud alerts are free and require companies to verify your identity before opening any new accounts in your name.

Another option is to contact each of the credit bureaus to add a credit freeze. Freezing your credit prevents anyone but you from accessing your credit. That means you will need to temporarily lift the freeze in order to apply for credit. 

Request a free copy of your credit report from one of the bureaus or online at

Step 5. Contact other creditors

Contact your credit card companies, utility and phone providers, and other financial institutions to let them know of potential fraud or identity theft. Make sure that your personal information was not changed and consider adding extra security features like a PIN, password, or voice verification. Close any accounts that have been compromised and open new accounts with new passwords and PINs.

Step 6. File a report with the local police

A police report provides proof of criminal activity which may help when contacting creditors to dispute charges or accounts opened in your name. Be sure to request a copy of the police report.

Additional steps to consider to help protect yourself:

  • Activate 2-Step Verification at Sign-On for an additional layer of security
  • Set up alerts to help track your transactions and spot unusual activity quickly
  • Make sure your contact information is up to date so we can contact you if we see unusual activity on your accounts

For more information, learn more about Wells Fargo's Security Tools and Options.