If you can't afford your current mortgage, and staying in your home isn't an option, a short sale might help you avoid foreclosure. It allows you to sell your home for less than you owe on the mortgage, and may release you from having to repay the remaining mortgage balance.
How a short sale could help
- You avoid a foreclosure sale. Even if one is already scheduled, it may be postponed if a signed purchase offer is received and approved by Wells Fargo Home Mortgage.
- You pay no fees. Wells Fargo Home Mortgage covers all closing costs and real estate agent fees.
- You can't sell your home to anyone you have a close relationship with, including family or friends.
- In rare cases, homeowners have to pay a deficiency balance at closing or afterward. We'll let you know if this applies to you before you commit to transferring the property.
- If you don't have to pay the deficiency balance, you may have to report that amount as income for tax purposes. Consult your tax advisor.