Navegó a una página que no está disponible en español en este momento. Seleccione el enlace si desea ver otro contenido en español.

Página principal

Flood Insurance - FAQs

What’s flood insurance?

It covers damage to your home from flooding. It's only required if your home is in a Special Flood Hazard Area, which is determined by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Learn more about how flood insurance works.

Who determines if my house is in a Special Flood Hazard Area?

FEMA determines where the Special Flood Hazard Areas are. We’ll find out if your house is in one. If it is, we’ll let you know you need to have flood insurance. You can also contact FEMA, FloodSmart, or your local city or county government for more information or to confirm you’re in a Special Flood Hazard Area.

Can I purchase flood insurance even if it’s not required for me?

Yes. However, it can’t be paid out of your escrow account like it would if it was required. When you purchase it voluntarily, you'll pay the premium to your insurance company.

What are the coverage requirements for flood insurance?

Your flood insurance coverage has to be at least equal to the lowest of these options:

  • 100% of the estimated replacement cost value for your property
  • Combined outstanding balance of all loans and maximum line of credit limits
  • The maximum amount of coverage available under the National Flood Insurance Program (currently $250,000.00 for residential buildings)

Keep in mind that there are pros and cons to only getting the minimum amount of insurance required. If you only have the minimum amount required, it may not be enough to pay for all of the needed repairs after a flood. Be sure to discuss your flood insurance needs with your insurance company.

Why did I receive a letter asking for evidence of insurance?

We either did not receive an insurance renewal or received a cancellation from your insurance carrier.

How can I prove that I have adequate flood insurance?

Please email the declarations page of your flood insurance policy – which is usually the first page – to The declarations page tells us the amount of coverage and other details of your policy. If you don’t have the declarations page, you can also email your insurance binder. Make sure to include your account number on the documents you send. Please note that this email is for submitting documents only. If you have any questions regarding your insurance, please call us at 1-866-826-4884.

For more details on how to send us proof of adequate flood insurance, visit our property insurance website.

What if I don't have enough coverage?

We review your coverage from time to time and will send you notification if we believe you don’t have enough coverage to protect your property.

Why did you give me lender-placed insurance?

We either didn’t receive proof of insurance or you don’t have enough coverage. If you don't have enough coverage, the lender-placed insurance policy covers the difference between what you have and the required amount.

How do I pay my flood insurance premiums?

If you’re required to have flood insurance, we’ll add the cost to your monthly mortgage payment. We’ll keep the funds in an escrow account for you and pay the insurance bills on your behalf when they’re due.

If you’re not required to have flood insurance and you purchased flood insurance voluntarily, you’ll have to pay the premiums to your insurance company when they’re due.

If I’m no longer in a Special Flood Hazard Area, how do I cancel my insurance?

If you’re no longer in one, we’ll let you know so you can call your insurance company and cancel your flood insurance policy.

Where can I find more information about flood insurance and flood zones?

You can visit these websites:

How do I file an insurance claim?

The first step is to contact your insurance company. Learn more about insurance claims and repairing your property.