Tips for choosing a contractor
The following tips will help you find a reliable, licensed contractor.
Do your homework
Ask your family and friends for referrals or contact your local chapter of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry. Look for contractors who are:
- Established in your area with the Better Business Bureau
- Licensed and/or bonded according to your state’s requirements
- Fully insured with proper certification
- How long have you been in business?
- What similar projects have you done recently?
- May I have a list of referrals and suppliers?
- Will you be on-site to supervise the repairs?
- Do you have regular employees or subcontractors?
- How long will the project take?
Get bids in writing from at least 3 contractors. Carefully review any bid that’s a lot lower than others – it may be missing items or have mistakes.
Nail down a contract
Once you’ve decided the scope of the work and selected a contractor, get a formal contract. Some surprises may still come up, but a comprehensive contract can help prevent mistakes and keep your project on time and on budget.