Navegó a una página que no está disponible en español en este momento. Seleccione el enlace si desea ver otro contenido en español.

Página principal

Disaster Assistance and Property Damage – FAQs

 Come talk to us 

Impacted by a disaster? Get information that may help in the recovery process. See if our mobile response unit is in your area and register for a one-on-one consultation.

What if I can’t make my mortgage payment due to property damage to my home or place of work?

If a disaster or other event has damaged your home or caused you a financial hardship, our disaster assistance team may be able to help. Read more about assistance options for loan payments.

Why is Wells Fargo listed on my insurance claim check?

As the mortgage servicer, Wells Fargo is listed on your homeowners insurance policy and on insurance claim checks, because we have a financial interest in the property. We want to help you through the property repair process and see that it is restored to its original condition.

How do I endorse the insurance check and start the repair process?

When you receive your insurance check, you’ll notice that Wells Fargo is named on it. As the mortgage provider, we have a financial interest to see that your property is restored. Notify us as soon as you get your check, and we will provide you the information to get started.

Wells Fargo Disaster Assistance Team


Mon – Fri: 6 am – 10 pm
Sat: 8 am – 2 pm
Central Time

Home Equity:

Mon - Thurs: 7 am – 7 pm
Fri: 7 am – 5 pm
Central Time

Other Wells Fargo Accounts:

Why does Wells Fargo pay for the repairs in increments?

For property repairs that we monitor, we release the funds in partial payments as repairs are completed. For some situations, such as minor property damage, the insurance claim funds will be endorsed entirely to the homeowner. For more information, see when Wells Fargo will monitor the repairs to your home.

Why does Wells Fargo have to inspect the property for the insurance funds to be released?

We may order and pay for inspections of the work to make sure that the home is being restored. We do this to confirm that the contractor completes the work before getting the full payment.

What happens if I don’t sign the insurance claim check?

If we receive a claim check that you have not endorsed, we will return it to you to be signed. Be sure to write your mortgage loan number on the check. We can’t begin the home recovery process until we receive the endorsed check and all required paperwork.

What should I do if my contractor needs more funds to start or continue property repairs?

We’ll ask the contractor to submit a written request to us. The request should be signed by both the contractor and you. We’ll review the request and determine whether additional funds may be released.

Can I use the insurance funds from a property damage claim to pay off my mortgage?

Yes, if the claim amount exceeds the amount required to pay the mortgage in full. Our customer service team can give you the payoff quote. Please send the endorsed claim check with a letter authorizing Wells Fargo to use the funds to pay off the mortgage. If the amount of the check is less than the amount owed on your mortgage, please include a certified check for the difference. Note that we’re not able to apply claim funds to delinquent mortgage payments.

What if I don’t use all the insurance money for the repairs?

Any remaining money can be refunded to you as long as:

  • All repairs listed on the adjuster's worksheet are complete
  • A 100% inspection has been received by Wells Fargo
  • Contractors and workers have been paid

Note: Your mortgage must be current for you to get a refund.