When you rent or lease, your landlord’s insurance usually only protects the building itself — not your personal belongings. If something unfortunate happens, renters insurance helps make sure you can afford to replace your belongings, like your electronics, computers, clothing, furniture, and other valuables. Consider purchasing additional coverage for items that may be subject to limitations, such as jewelry, guns, fine art, stamps, furs, and gold. Renters insurance also includes personal liability coverage in case someone is injured while visiting you and you are legally liable.
When you work with Wells Fargo Insurance, you could:
- Save time. Receive a quote within minutes.
- Find competitive rates. Choose from several options.
- Buy easily. Purchase online or over the phone.
- Save even more. Discounts may be available when you purchase over the phone and combine renters insurance with auto coverage.
In a matter of minutes, and for a very competitive price, you can purchase a renters insurance policy online through Assurant Specialty Property, our chosen online renters insurance provider. To get started, follow these quick and easy steps:
- Click Get a Quote and you’ll go to Assurant’s website.
- Determine the value of your belongings using the interactive property calculator.
- Choose the coverage and deductible that fits your needs.
- Purchase your policy online and your belongings are covered. It’s that easy!
If you have additional insurance needs beyond renters insurance, talk to one of our insurance agents and consider purchasing multiple products for potential discounts and savings.
Through Assurant Specialty Property, our chosen online renters insurance provider, your renters insurance policy can be customized. With the optional coverage features available, you can design a policy that will allow you to:
- Get the money you need to replace your covered belongings with the replacement cost option.
- Select one additional person, such as a roommate, whose belongings will be covered under your policy.
- Help protect your assets if someone has an accident in your home and you are legally liable for their bodily injury or property damage.
- Cover your personal property anywhere in the world — from your car, garage, or storage unit to your backpack, even if you’re traveling.
- Live somewhere else while your residence is inhabitable due to a covered event.
Covered events usually include:
- Fire/smoke damage
- Windstorm or hail
- Accidental water damage
- Earthquake (available only in CA and WA)
The renters insurance coverage options listed above are available through the Assurant Specialty Property companies and may not be available through other insurance companies Wells Fargo Insurance represents.
Are you interested in bundling your insurance policies? The more policies you buy from the same insurance company, the more discounts you could get.
It often pays to ask about discounts when you’re selecting insurance. Discounts vary by state and by insurance company, but if you meet certain criteria, you may qualify for savings. Our insurance agents can help you explore discounts available when you purchase auto or specialty vehicle insurance along with your renters insurance.
Renters insurance questions
Does my landlord’s property insurance provide the same coverage as renters insurance?
No. Your landlord’s property insurance usually covers only the building in which you live, not your belongings. It also doesn’t provide liability coverage if you’re responsible for causing damage to someone else’s property or if someone gets hurt while visiting you.
How do I determine how much coverage I need?
You’d be surprised how much your personal property is worth when you think about replacing it with new items. To help you better understand what your belongings are worth, make a list of your belongings, such as your electronics, appliances, clothing and accessories, linens, furniture, art and music, kitchen supplies, sports equipment, and estimate the total value of these items.
Are there different coverage limits on certain types of property?
Yes, there are different coverage limits on certain types of property. Some items, including electronics, jewelry, guns, gold, stamps, fine art, and silverware, may need additional coverage.
What happens to my renters insurance coverage if I move?
While policies vary, in most cases, if you move within the state where you are currently insured, you can simply provide your new address and some information about your new residence. However, if you move to another state, some insurance companies may not be able to continue your policy. Contact your insurance company for more detailed information.
Is it a good idea to buy a policy for my child’s college dorm or apartment?
Yes, it could be. Children’s belongings are often covered through their parent’s homeowners insurance policy. However, any claims that are made for the child’s belongings will have an impact on the parent’s homeowners insurance policy rates, which makes purchasing a renters insurance policy for the child worth considering. Please note that unless your name is on the policy, you can’t request any changes to it.
Are other people covered under my policy?
Yes, in certain cases. Spouses are automatically insured if they share the same household. Different policies have different limits. Besides yourself, you can usually name one additional person on a renters insurance policy. Each individual will be named on any payments or refunds.