A cancelled check constitutes documentation that money was available in the account of a check issuer to fund a transaction for which the check was issued. Copies of cancelled checks may be requested for a number of reasons, including:
- Asset verification, such as proceeds from a sale
- Timely rental payments
Avoid delays in processing your loan
For all documents:
- Make sure the copies you send are legible.
- Do not include documents that have been altered with correction fluid or by other means.
- Submit the entire requested document and include all pages (even blank ones).
For this document
- Submit cancelled checks for the required period (e.g., six months, 12 months, etc.).
- Be sure that cancelled checks for mortgage payments:
- Are legible copies.
- Identify the mortgage servicer (or mortgage holder) as the payee.
- Indicates that the mortgage servicer or holder endorsed the check for deposit and shows the date of that endorsement.