Rapid Alerts – Before You Enroll
What’s the difference between Rapid Alerts and the existing Credit Card Alerts?
Rapid Alerts are triggered when a transaction is authorized, not after the charges have posted to your account (which can take 2 or 3 days after the transaction is made). In addition to being available by email, Rapid Alerts are also offered as mobile text alerts, which arrive quickly and reach you even if you’re away from your computer.
What kinds of transactions can I track with Rapid Alerts?
There are six available Rapid Alerts, created to help protect you from fraud and keep you on top of your finances:
- Purchase limit: Set a limit and receive an alert whenever a transaction goes above that limit
- Transaction denied: Find out when a transaction is declined
- Online, Phone, or Mail purchases: Receive a notification whenever your card number is used to make a purchase
- Foreign transaction: Receive a notification whenever your card is used outside the United States
- Gas purchase: Monitor when your card is used at a gas station
- ATM withdrawal: Receive a notification whenever your card is used for a cash advance at an ATM
Will I receive a large number of alerts?
The number of alerts you receive varies, depending on the number of alerts you have signed up for, the threshold that you set, and how often transactions trigger the alert.
To change the parameters that trigger an alert, or to stop receiving an alert, simply return to the Set Up/Modify Alerts page to make your adjustments.
Is there a charge for the service?
Wells Fargo offers all alerts, including Rapid Alerts, as a free service, however mobile message and data rates may apply.
How do I sign up for Rapid Alerts?
Rapid Alerts as mobile text messages
To receive Rapid Alerts as texts on your mobile phone, follow this easy, three-step process:
- Step 1 – Click the Sign Up Now link and provide your mobile number. You can enter up to two numbers. Both numbers must belong to you (mobile numbers belonging to friends or family members cannot be enabled to receive text alerts for your account).
- Step 2 – Read and accept terms and conditions.
- Step 3 – Verify your number by replying to the Welcome text we send to your mobile phone. Simply text “YES ALERTS” to WELLS (93557).
Once your mobile number is confirmed and you receive our Welcome message, you can select the alerts that you would like to receive.
Rapid Alerts as emails
To receive Rapid Alerts as email:
- Step 1 – Click the Sign Up Now link and leave the mobile phone number field blank.
- Step 2 – Read and accept our terms and conditions.
Can I receive text message alerts on any mobile phone?
You can enroll up to two mobile numbers to receive text alerts. Your mobile numbers must:
- Be registered to you: Mobile numbers belonging to friends or family members cannot be enrolled to receive text alerts for your account.
- Be with a domestic carrier: Wells Fargo is unable to deliver text alerts to mobile carriers outside of the United States.
- Be SMS enabled: Some prepaid and regional carriers may not support text messages.
As long as your mobile phone supports text messaging, you can sign up for text alerts. Please check with your mobile carrier for more details about text messaging and web access charges.
Rapid Alerts – After You Enroll
What if I receive an alert about a transaction I do not recognize?
Check to see if an unfamiliar transaction is one of the following:
- An automatic bill payment you set up for a recurring service (like cable or telephone)
- A large purchase that was divided into smaller transactions
- An aggregated charge (several small purchases combined into one, such as buying $0.99 songs online)
- A purchase initiated by an authorized cardholder who has the same Visa card number
- An authorization charge from a restaurant or hotel
If you still cannot identify the transaction, please call the number on the back of your Visa card.
What if the amount of a purchase in an alert is different from the amount on my bill?
Alerts are triggered based on the initial authorization amount that the merchant sends to us, which may or may not include the estimated tip, and is not necessarily the final amount that you actually signed for. Your account will only be charged the final amount.
What do I do if I change my mobile number?
To edit or delete your mobile number, click the Manage Mobile Numbers button at the bottom of the Set Up/Modify Alerts page for your Visa credit card account. Note: The Manage Mobile Numbers button is only available for customers who have enrolled to for Rapid Alerts.
If you change your mobile number, you will need to re-accept our terms and conditions and verify your new number by replying to our Confirmation message. You will be given the option to have your alerts delivered to your new number.
Note: Removing or editing an existing number will remove that number from your Wells Fargo contact information, and will interrupt any services currently associated with that number (for example: Text Banking).
What does it mean when my mobile number is listed as “disconnected”?
Your number may be listed as disconnected for a number of reasons, including:
- You entered your number incorrectly.
- Your mobile account is inactive.
- Your carrier plan isn’t set up to receive text messages.
- You recently moved your number to a new carrier.
- You recently asked Wells Fargo to change your mobile number.
If you aren’t sure why your number is disconnected, please contact your carrier directly for more details.
Will I continue to receive text alerts if I change mobile carriers, even if my number remains the same?
When you move your number to a new carrier, your previous carrier sends Wells Fargo a Disconnect message. If you click the Manage Mobile Numbers button at the bottom of the Set Up/Modify Alerts page for your Visa credit card, the status of your mobile number should be listed as “disconnected.” Note: The Manage Mobile Numbers button is only available for customers who have enrolled to for Rapid Alerts.
If your number is listed as disconnected, click the enable text alerts link next to your mobile number, and follow the steps to re-enable your mobile number, including accepting our terms and conditions and replying to the Confirmation text we send to your mobile number. You will also need to reset your preferences for your Rapid Alerts.
How do I turn off text alerts?
There are two ways to stop the delivery of all Rapid Alerts:
- Text the word “STOP” to WELLS (93557)
- Click the Manage Mobile Numbers button at the bottom of the Set Up/Modify Alerts page for your Visa credit card, then click the Disable text alerts link next to your mobile number. Note: The Manage Mobile Numbers button is only available for customers who have enrolled to for Rapid Alerts.
How do I temporarily stop text alerts while I am on vacation?
To suspend the delivery of your alerts, visit the Set Up/Modify Alerts page for your Visa credit card account and unselect your individual alerts. To re-subscribe, simply re-select your alerts.