How do I report a lost or stolen debit card?
Call the Wells Fargo Phone BankSM at 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557) to report your card as lost or stolen and request a replacement card.
If you lose your card while traveling outside the United States:
Call us collect at 1-925-825-7600 and then follow the voice instructions.
Your Wells Fargo Debit Card comes with Zero Liability protection at no extra cost, so you won’t be held liable for any unauthorized transactions, as long as they are reported promptly.
Can I use my debit card overseas?
Yes, you can use your debit card while traveling outside the United States. Call us at 1-800-TO-WELLS(1-800-869-3557) for assistance prior to traveling and refer to the following tips:
- Use your debit card to get local currency internationally at more than 1.5 million Visa® and participating ATM networks. Visit the Visa global ATM network locator to view a list of ATMs that accept your card worldwide.
- Most foreign ATMs require a four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN). If your PIN doesn't meet this requirement, you can change it before you leave on your trip — just call 1-800-TO-WELLS(1-800-869-3557) or visit any Wells Fargo ATM or location.
- Use your debit card to make purchases worldwide at participating retailers and service providers. When you present your card for payment, you will be asked to sign a sales slip rather than entering your PIN.
- Wells Fargo will assess a $5 fee for ATM cash withdrawals made outside the United States and an International Purchase Transaction fee which is 3% of the transaction amount for each purchase made with your debit card in a foreign currency that has been converted into a U.S. dollar amount by a network.
If you have any difficulty using a foreign ATM, use your debit card to get an over-the-counter cash disbursement at a local financial institution. (Wells Fargo charges a fee which is 3% of the transaction amount for international over-the-counter cash disbursements.) View our quick tips for using your card outside the United States.
For assistance while traveling, you can call Wells Fargo toll-free from foreign countries.
How do I dispute a debit card transaction?
Call 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557) to dispute a debit card transaction. We will contact you within ten business days with a resolution or an update about your claim. If you have incurred fees or overdraft charges as a result of the disputed charge, we will reimburse your account if the Bank determines it was an error.
My debit card is going to expire soon. Do I need to do anything?
You should receive your new debit card in the mail about two weeks before your current card expires. Your current card is good through the last day of the expiration month that appears on the front of your card.
If you do not receive your new card within two weeks of the expiration of your current card, or if your card has already expired, please call us at 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557). Bankers are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
How do I replace a damaged debit card?
If your ATM or debit card is not functioning properly or is damaged, you may order a replacement card by calling 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557). You will receive a new card with a new expiration date within 7 – 10 calendar days, and the Personal Identification Number (PIN) you are currently using will work with your new card.
Visit your local Wells Fargo location to request a temporary instant debit card to access your account until you receive your permanent card in the mail.
How do I get a new debit card PIN or change my existing PIN?
If you’ve recently opened a new Wells Fargo account and requested a debit card, you may have already selected your Personal Identification Number (PIN). If not, a PIN will be mailed to you separate from your card. If you do not receive your PIN, please visit your nearest Wells Fargo location and have your debit card available.
If you’re interested in changing an existing PIN, you can do so at any Wells Fargo ATM, visit your nearest Wells Fargo location, or call us at 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557).
What is the $1 charge that appears in my online Account Activity?
There are common reasons that a $1 charge may appear in your online Account Activity:
- Debit Card Activity. Sometimes merchants perform a test charge to verify your account before authorizing a debit card purchase. These charges are usually for a nominal amount such as $1. Once the actual purchase is charged to your account, the $1 test charge is removed.
- ATM Statement Fee. There may be a $1 fee when you request a statement at the ATM.
What are my daily purchase and cash withdrawal limits?
Your debit card comes with a daily limit on the dollar amount of purchases you can make with your card. And you have a daily cash withdrawal limit at the ATM. Your daily purchase and cash withdrawal limits are printed on the materials that come with your card. Talk to your local Wells Fargo banker or call 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557) to find out more information about your daily limits.
You can also verify your daily limits by visiting your Card Profile Page in Online Banking. Here's how: Once you have signed on to Online Banking, select the Account Services tab and click on the Account Profile link under Account Information. Look for your debit card or ATM card in the drop down box, highlight it and select Go.
How do I increase my limits?
Call us at 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557) or talk to a banker at a Wells Fargo location.
What types of ATM/debit card alerts are available?
There are four ATM/debit card alerts you can sign up for:
Tell me when a purchase or ATM withdrawal is made from an international location with my unique ATM/debit card number.
Transactions included in this alert are any cash withdrawals performed at an ATM located in a country outside of the United States, as well as any purchases from a merchant located outside the United States.
Tell me when a purchase is made over the internet, by phone or mail order with my unique ATM/debit card number.
Transactions included in this alert are purchases made over the internet, or at merchants that accept payments over the phone or by mail.
Tell me when the total purchases exceed a certain dollar amount in one day with my unique ATM/debit card number.
We will total up all purchase transactions performed with your ATM/debit card in a 24-hour period, and generate this alert if the total of those purchases exceeds the amount that you entered when you signed up for this alert. Transactions included in this alert are:
- Purchases at a merchant where you entered your Personal Identification Number (PIN)
- Purchases at a merchant where you signed the sales slip
- Purchases at a merchant where you were not required to sign the sales slip (including internet, phone and mail order purchases)
- Over-the-counter cash disbursements (a transaction where you use your card to get cash from a teller at a non-Wells Fargo bank)
Tell me when the total ATM withdrawals exceed a certain dollar amount in one day with my unique ATM/debit card number.
We will total up all ATM withdrawal transactions performed with your ATM/debit card in a 24-hour period, and generate this alert if the total of those withdrawals exceeds the amount that you entered when you signed up for this alert. Transactions included in this alert are:
- ATM cash withdrawals
- ATM stamp purchases*
- ATM donations*
* Not available at every ATM
How do I sign up for ATM/debit card alerts?
To sign up for ATM/debit card alerts:
- Sign on to Messages & Alerts
- Select the Set Up/Modify Alerts tab
- Look for the Unusual ATM/Debit/Prepaid Card Activity Alerts under the Security and General Alerts section and click on the Set Up link
- Check the boxes next to the alerts you would like to receive
If I subscribe to the Unusual ATM/Debit Card Activity Alerts, will you still monitor my accounts for out-of-pattern activity?
Absolutely - these alerts supplement the current fraud detection measures we have in place. We regularly review your accounts for out-of-pattern activity. Working together, we can help prevent fraud.
How do I find an ATM near me?
Use our Locator to find Wells Fargo ATM locations, including driving directions and maps.
More information about ATMs:
- You can use your ATM card or debit card to make cash withdrawals, transfers, or balance inquiries at any Wells Fargo ATM with no ATM access fee.
- If there is no Wells Fargo location or ATM in your area, you can use your debit card at more than 1.5 million Visa® and Plus® network ATMs internationally. Visit the Visa global ATM network locator to view a list of ATMs that accept your card worldwide.
- There is a fee for using your debit or ATM card at non-Wells Fargo locations in addition to any fee an owner/operator of the ATM may charge. For details, refer to your Consumer Account Fee and Information Schedule or call us at 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557).
What advantages does an Envelope-FreeSM ATM provide?
With Wells Fargo's innovative ATMs, you don’t need an envelope to make a deposit. Just insert up to 30 checks or 50 bills at once, and the ATM does the rest. The ATM scans your checks, counts your bills, and totals them on screen. You can adjust your total and print images of your checks on your receipt. Plus, checks deposited on business days before 9 pm (8 pm in Alaska) are considered received that day.
What does “Extended Deposit Cutoff” mean?
For your convenience, checks deposited in our Envelope-FreeSM ATMs are considered received that same day until 9 pm weekdays (8 pm in Alaska). Checks deposited on bank holidays, weekends, or weekdays after 9 pm are considered received the next day. Cash deposits are available for use immediately.
What are the non-Wells Fargo ATM fees?
You can make withdrawals without a fee at any of our ATMs. If you use an ATM that is not Wells Fargo’s, a fee may apply.
Fees vary by type of account. Typical fees for transactions at non-Wells Fargo ATMs are:
- Non-Wells Fargo ATM Withdrawal Transaction fee*:
- U.S.: $2.50
- International: $5
- Balance Inquiry fee: $2.00
- Transfer fee: $2.00
- Other fees: Owners and operators of non-Wells Fargo ATMs may charge a fee in addition to those described above.
*Customers in the following checking account package will receive a total of up to 2 free non-Wells Fargo ATM withdrawal transactions (combined U.S. and International) per statement cycle; waived if PMA qualifying balance is $250,000 or more:
- Wells Fargo PMA® Package
For Wells Fargo fees specific to your account, please refer to your Consumer Account Fee and Information Schedule or call us at 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557).
What should I do if I have difficulty using an ATM in a foreign country?
If you have trouble using an ATM in a foreign country, it might be because you do not have a four-digit PIN, or because the ATM is not in our participating network. To get cash you can:
- Use your debit card to get an over-the-counter cash disbursement at a local bank. Wells Fargo charges a fee of 3% of the transaction amount for over-the-counter cash disbursements.
- Write a check from your Wells Fargo account and cash it at a local financial institution.