How do I set up, add, or delete alerts?
- Sign on to your Messages & Alerts secure inbox (or click the Messages & Alerts tab if you’re already signed on).
- Select Set Up/Modify Alerts.
- Choose an account for which you want to add or edit alerts. You’ll also be able to add general and security alerts from this page.
- Next, check the boxes to select or de-select specific alerts. Remember to enter dollar thresholds and frequency of alerts where appropriate.
- Click Save.
You can add new alerts or change your preferences anytime. To change or add the email address(es) we will send alerts to, select Add/Change Email Address.
What accounts are eligible for alerts?
- Checking and savings accounts, ATM/debit/prepaid cards
- Credit card accounts
- Mortgage accounts (payment reminder and payment posted alerts)
- Certificate of deposit accounts (reminder when account is maturing)
How do I sign up for text alerts?
To receive text message alerts:
- Sign on to Set Up/Modify Alerts.
- Select the account you want to receive text alerts for, and check the alert types you want.
If you’ve never enrolled your mobile number before, you’ll need to provide the number for text message alerts. You’ll be asked to verify the number by replying to the text message we send to your mobile phone, so be sure to have your phone with you.
Can I receive text message alerts on any mobile phone?
You can enroll up to two mobile numbers to receive text alerts. Your mobile numbers must:
- Be registered to you: Mobile numbers belonging to friends or family members cannot be enrolled to receive text alerts for your account.
- Be with a domestic carrier: Wells Fargo is unable to deliver text alerts to mobile carriers outside of the United States.
- Be SMS enabled: Some prepaid and regional carriers may not support text messages.
As long as your mobile phone supports text messaging, you can sign up for text alerts. Please check with your mobile carrier for more details about text messaging and web access charges.
What do I do if my mobile number changes?
To update your mobile number for text message alerts, sign on to your Wells Fargo Online account. Go to Messages & Alerts > Set Up/Modify Alerts, and select an account. Select the Manage Mobile Numbers button (The manage Mobile Numbers option is only available for customers who have enrolled in text alerts).
You'll be asked to verify your new number by replying to the text message we send to your new number, so be sure to have your phone with you.
Note: Removing or editing an existing number will remove or update that number from your Wells Fargo contact information, and will interrupt other services currently associated with that number (for example Text Banking).
What does it mean when my mobile number is listed as “disconnected”?
Your number may be listed as disconnected for a number of reasons, including:
- You entered your number incorrectly.
- Your mobile account is inactive.
- Your carrier plan isn’t set up to receive text messages.
- You recently moved your number to a new carrier.
- You recently asked Wells Fargo to change your mobile number.
If you aren’t sure why your number is disconnected, please contact your carrier directly for more details.
Will I continue to receive text alerts if I change mobile carriers, even if my number remains the same?
When you move your number to a new carrier, your previous carrier sends Wells Fargo a Disconnect message. If you would like to continue receiving text alerts, you'll need to sign on to your Wells Fargo Online account to re-enroll your mobile number for alerts.
- After you sign on, go to Messages & Alerts > Set Up/Modify Alerts and select an account.
- Select Manage Mobile Numbers.
- Your mobile number will show a "disconnected" status. Select Enable Text Alerts.
You'll be asked to re-verify your mobile number by replying to a text message we send your phone, so be sure to have your phone with you.
How do I turn off text alerts?
There are two ways to stop the delivery of all text alerts:
- Text the word “STOP” to WELLS (93557).
- Sign on to your Wells Fargo Online account, and go to Messages & Alerts > Set Up/Modify Alerts. Select an account and click the Manage Mobile Numbers button. Then select the Disable text alerts link next to your mobile number.
How do I temporarily stop text alerts while I am on vacation?
There is no temporary or vacation stop option at this time. To suspend the delivery of your alerts, sign on to your Wells Fargo Online account and go to Messages & Alerts > Set Up/Modify Alerts page. Select an account and uncheck your individual alerts. To begin alerts delivery again, please return to the page and re-select the individual alerts you want to receive.
Is there a charge for the service?
No. This service is free to all Wells Fargo Online® Banking customers. However, your mobile carrier’s text messaging and web access charges may apply.
How do I change my email address or add another one?
Add or change your email address by signing on to Update Contact Information (or select the Update Contact Information link on the Account Services page if you’re already signed on). Or you can call 1-800-956-4442.
You will need to update your Bill Pay User Profile separately. To update your address or email address in Bill Pay, sign on to Wells Fargo Online and select User Profile from the Bill Pay menu.
Can I route alerts to my wireless device or cellular phone?
Yes. However, some wireless devices have character limits and you might not see the entire content of the alert. Please check with your wireless provider.
When will I receive my first alert?
Depending on the type of accounts you have, your alerts will begin one to two business days after you set them up. Alerts are then sent according to the type of transactions that trigger them.
For example, when a deposit has posted, a deposit posted alert is sent usually the following business day. For near real time alerts, such as when a purchase is made at a gas station, an alert is sent when the transaction is authorized.
Exception: If you have set up the Access Suspended notification, we will send an alert immediately if an incorrect password has been entered three times and your online access is suspended.
How do I know if I have a new message or alert?
We will send alerts to your personal email account or mobile device, as well as your Wells Fargo secure inbox within Messages & Alerts. Responses to your customer service questions will also go to your secure inbox. We will send a note to your personal email, informing you that you have a customer service response ready for you to view in your secure inbox.
To see your messages and alerts, go to your Messages & Alerts inbox or click the Messages & Alerts tab if you’re already signed on. We recommend that you regularly check your secure inbox to ensure you’re receiving all of your Wells Fargo messages and alerts.
Why did I receive a credit card alert today for a transaction that happened on a different day?
Occasionally you will receive an alert for a transaction which you made several days before. The most common reason this can happen is a merchant delay in processing your transaction. For non-urgent types of alerts, Wells Fargo processes the transaction information sent by merchants on a nightly basis. An alert is then sent to your email and secure inbox the next business day.
What if I receive an alert about a transaction I do not recognize?
Please report any unauthorized transactions immediately by calling the number on the back of your card. If you're not sure about a transaction, check to see if it is one of the following:
- An automatic bill payment you set up for a recurring service (like cable or telephone)
- A large purchase that was divided into smaller transactions
- A purchase initiated by an authorized cardholder with the same card number
To view full transaction details, you can sign on to your Wells Fargo Online® account and go to Account Activity.
How long do messages and alerts stay in my Messages & Alerts inbox?
Messages and alerts will stay in your secure inbox for 45 days, unless you delete them. To save a message or alert beyond the expiration date that’s listed next to the message, you can copy and paste the text into a word processing document and save it on your computer.
Can I reply to messages and alerts?
You can reply to the messages we send in response to your customer service or account questions. After opening a message in your secure inbox, click the Reply button to send a message back to Wells Fargo.
For security reasons, you cannot reply to automated account alerts such as balance summary, posted check, and other notifications.
I’m not receiving email alerts. What should I do?
There are a few things you should check to determine why you are not receiving email alerts:
- First, check your spam or bulk folders. If alerts appear in your spam or bulk folders, please add Wells Fargo to your address book.
- Second, check your Wells Fargo secure inbox to ensure an alert was generated for the account. Alerts are always sent to your secure inbox in addition to your personal email address.
- If you see alerts in your secure inbox (but not in your personal email or spam folder), please verify that you provided the correct email address for alert notifications.
On the Set Up/Modify Alerts page, select the Set Up/Modify link next to the desired account. You'll be taken to the account level alerts page. Verify the email address and make sure the checkbox is selected to receive alerts.
What kind of response time can I expect on emails I send to Customer Service?
We make every attempt to respond within 24 hours of receiving your question via email.
Why do you send responses to my questions to the Messages & Alerts inbox?
Messages & Alerts is the most reliable and secure way to receive responses from us that may include account numbers and other personal information.
What are Push Notifications?
Push Notifications are for Wells Fargo Online® Banking customers who have an Apple iOS or Google Android device (phone or tablet) and the Wells Fargo Mobile Banking Application installed. They can receive “push” versions of some existing online banking alerts.
How do I sign up and receive Push Notifications?
- Download and update the latest version of the Mobile Banking Application
- Launch the Wells Fargo Mobile Banking Application and select Activate
- Navigate to the Push Settings and slide to On to receive automatic and subscription notifications
What kinds of Push Notifications are sent?
- Subscription alert (e.g. Balance Threshold notification)
- Account specific automatic alerts ( e.g. Overdraft Insufficient funds, Student Loan payment, Mobile Remote Deposit Capture Success)
- Security and general alerts ( e.g. Password change, Username change, Contact information update)
How to turn off Push Notifications?
There are four ways to turn off Push notifications:
- Within the Wells Fargo Mobile Banking Application, go to the Push Settings page and slide Off to stop receiving both subscription and automatic notifications
- From an iOS device, go to the Notification Center Settings and change the “Alert Style”, “Show in Notification Center” and “Show on Lock Screen”
- From an Android device, go to the Settings and turn off notifications
- When logged into Online Banking, you can go to the Alerts Setup/Modify area to uncheck the push delivery of subscription alerts.