Navegó a una página que no está disponible en español en este momento. Seleccione el enlace si desea ver otro contenido en español.

Página principal

Your account now requires a U.S. address

Wells Fargo now requires that all consumer deposit customers provide a valid primary residential address located within the United States or its territories.

If your primary residential address is located within the United States or its territories, update your address information in one of three ways:

  • Sign on at and go to Update Contact Information. 
  • Go to a Wells Fargo branch in the U.S. An appointment may be needed.
  • Call us.
    • 1-800-869-3557, from within the U.S.
      24 hours a day, 7 days a week
    • 775-335-1115, from outside the U.S., call collect
      Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
      Sunday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
      Eastern Time

If all account owners cannot individually provide a primary residential address located within the United States or its territories, we ask that you close the account.

  • Bring your account balance to zero through your normal withdrawal methods or transfer the remaining account balance to another financial institution. If your account is interest-bearing, contact the bank to request closure, so the final interest payment will be included in your closing balance.
  • To close your account, you can:
    • Visit a branch in the U.S.;
    • Call us to provide instructions for final balance distribution; or

Find out more about closing your account.

Frequently asked questions


Which Wells Fargo accounts are affected by this U.S. address requirement?

All consumer checking and savings accounts are affected. All impacted customers will be contacted with appropriate instructions on how to update or, if necessary, close their account. CDs and IRAs that have a primary residential address outside the U.S. are not affected.

If I choose to close my CD account, will I have to pay an early withdrawal penalty fee?

If you choose to close your CD before the current maturity date, the early withdrawal penalty fee will be waived and all interest earned up to the closing date will be paid.

I don't have a residential address in the U.S. and I received a letter from Wells Fargo. What do I do?

You and any additional account owners have 60 days from the date of the initial letter to close or transfer your account balances to another financial institution. After that, we will send you additional correspondence to begin the process of closing accounts where one or more account owners do not have a primary residential address within the U.S or its territories.

What if I have a post office (P.O.) box address, but not a residential address?

You can't use a P.O. box or postal mailbox (PMB) address for this requirement. You also can't use an employer address as your primary address.

Can I continue to have account updates and statements sent to my international address?

Yes, although primary address on the account must be a residential address located in the U.S. or its territories, the mailing address can be international, a P.O. box, or a PMB address.

Is a joint account allowed if one or more of the joint account holders has a non-U.S. address as their primary residential address?

No. All account holders with an international primary address will need to individually update their primary physical address to a U.S. address or the account must be closed.

How can I close my account if I am unable to notarize the account closure request form because I cannot travel to the U.S. or my local embassy or consulate is closed?

If you are unable to notarize the form, there is a customer service team that will do their best to assist you over the phone. 

What will happen to my funds if I am unable to close my account?

You will receive multiple communications from us before we take any action. If after notification of account closure, your statement mailing address is:

  • Domestic (U.S. or territories): We will close your account and mail a Cashier’s Check to that address on file. However, there may be circumstances where we will not send a cashier’s check. If so, a restriction on new deposits may be placed until you take action to close the account.
  • Foreign: Due to safety and security concerns, we generally will not mail a Cashier’s Check to a foreign country. However, if you are able to contact us and validate your foreign address and your account balance is less than $5,000, we may be able to mail a Cashier’s Check to you, depending on your location.

Regardless, you will not have the ability to make additional deposits (including direct deposits). However, you will still have access to withdraw or use your funds to bring the account to a zero balance and close. If there is no action taken by you, there is a potential that the funds may be remitted to the state as unclaimed property.

If my account was already closed, but I now have a U.S. address, can my account be re-opened?

No, we cannot reopen your account. However, as long as you have a primary residential address in the U.S. or its territories, you can apply for a new account either by going to or visiting a branch in the U.S.

Special circumstances

I'm an active member of the military. Does this requirement apply to me?

No. This doesn't apply to active members of the military. If you did receive a letter, please call to inform us of your active military status.

Does this affect DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) program recipients?

No. As long as you have a valid primary residential address located in the U.S. or its territories, you aren't affected.

Does this policy affect citizenship requirements for opening a deposit account?

No. Our citizenship requirements have not changed. You must provide your country of citizenship when opening an account, but non-U.S. citizens who have a valid primary residential address in the U.S. or its territories can still maintain a Wells Fargo consumer deposit account.

I'm an exchange student studying in the U.S. Does this affect me?

If you have a primary residential address in the U.S. or its territories, your account isn't affected. You'll need to close your account when you move out of the U.S.

A residential address is your primary address of residency. This must be within the U.S. or its territories and can't be a P.O. box.