Help and FAQs
What it is
What is the Greenhouse app?
This new app from Wells Fargo helps you manage your bills and spending.
It’s a new way to bank, enabling you to:
- Track and set aside money for bills, with reminders to help you pay on time.
- Set a weekly spending limit to help you stay on target with your spending.
- Get insights into your cash flow and expenses.
In a nutshell, it helps you understand your money in, money out, and what’s left over for spending.
How do I get started?
Note: Initially, the Greenhouse app and accounts are available only in select U.S. regions.
Once you confirm your ZIP code is part of our limited regional rollout, you can get started right from your mobile phone.1
Here’s how it works:
- Download the app to your mobile phone.
- Apply for your Greenhouse accounts right from the app.
- A $25 minimum deposit is required to open your Set Aside Account, and you can fund your Spending Account later.
- When your accounts are approved and funding is complete, you’ll set up a Wells Fargo Online® username and password to sign on to the app. We’ll also send you a debit card that’s linked to your Spending Account for purchases.
- Sign on to the Greenhouse app to start managing your bills and spending. We’ll guide you through it, every step of the way.
What kinds of accounts come with the Greenhouse app?
The Greenhouse app comes with two deposit accounts:
- A Set Aside Account — for paying bills, even right through the app.
- A Spending Account — for daily spending. This is the primary account linked to a debit card for ATM access and purchases.
Greenhouse accounts are checking accounts with one difference: they don’t come with physical checks.
Will I pay overdraft fees if I’m overdrawn?
There are very few ways to overdraw your account, but if you do, we won’t charge you an overdraft fee.
Is there a Greenhouse monthly service fee?
Customers who open their Greenhouse accounts during the limited rollout period will not be charged a Greenhouse monthly service fee as long as their Greenhouse accounts remain open.
How it works
What is the difference between my Set Aside Account and my Spending Account?
Using these two accounts can help you manage your money in a new way.
Your Set Aside Account is where you deposit your money, which you can set aside for the bills you pay regularly — like your rent, electricity bill, or car payment. This is the account you can use to set up bill payments.
Your Spending Account comes with a debit card that you can use for your daily expenses — things you typically pay cash for — like groceries, entertainment, and dining out. You can also use this account to set a weekly spending limit. Set a limit, and we can help you spend within it.
How does a weekly spending limit work?
When you set up the Greenhouse app, you’ll have the option of setting a spending limit. This limit is for discretionary spending, like gas, groceries, and dining out. You can estimate how much you spend each week, or we can help you break it down into categories.
If you’ve set a weekly spending limit, we’ll transfer up to that amount to your Spending Account each week. To access the money in your Spending Account, use your debit card.
How do I set aside money for my bills and spending? What if I haven’t set aside enough money to pay a bill?
Every time a deposit arrives in your Set Aside Account, we’ll let you know it’s time to set it aside for bills and spending. Here’s how it works:
- Use the sliders to move the money into your bills or spending.
- Move any money left over to “Set aside for later.”
- Select Done, and you’re ready to go!
You can change what you set aside for bills and spending at any time. After you sign on to Greenhouse, go to Set Aside. Select any bill to Add Money.
Remember: If you haven’t set aside enough money to pay a bill, we’ll let you know with a notification. Go to Set Aside. Select the bill to Add Money. If you still don’t have enough set aside by the time the bill is due, you may be able to make a partial payment, depending on the bill.
How can I pay a bill using the Greenhouse app?
You can use the Greenhouse app to pay virtually any company or person with a U.S. bank account. Here’s how:
- Go to My Bills and tap Add Bill Info for any of your bills.
- Give us some billing information, such as whether you’re paying a company or person, who gets paid, and some other billing information.
- A few days before your bill is due, we’ll send a payment reminder (if you’ve agreed to get notifications).
- When you’re ready to pay, simply go to My Bills, select a bill you want to pay, and tap Pay Now.
When will my bill payment reach the company or person I’m paying?
- If the company or person you’re paying accepts electronic payments, it will typically take 1-3 days. We’ll remind you when you need to submit your payment so it gets there in time.
- If the company or person you’re paying doesn’t accept electronic payments, we’ll send a paper check, which generally can take up to 5 days. If the payment is due in less than 5 days, you’ll need to move money from your Set Aside Account to your Spending Account. Then, you can contact the company or person you’re paying and pay the bill using your debit card or by withdrawing cash.
How do I send money to someone using the app?
You can use the Greenhouse app to send money to a person with Zelle® using a phone number or email address.2 For your protection, you should only use Zelle when sending money to people you know and trust.
You can make a one-time payment (for example, if you need to pay back a friend for lunch) from your Spending Account. Or, if you’re paying a person, like a landlord or a roommate for a bill, you can pay from your Set Aside Account.
How it’s secure
What should I do if I lose my device or my device is stolen?
In addition to notifying your mobile carrier, please call us at 1-800-869-3557, 24 hours a day, to notify us that your device is lost or stolen. We can disable Touch ID™/Face ID™ for iOS or Fingerprint Sign On for Android on your Greenhouse app.
If you have an iPhone, sign in at iCloud.com or use the Find My app on another device. For more information about finding your iPhone, please refer to the Apple website. If you have an Android device, sign in at android.com/find to locate your missing device.
Is my account information secure on the Greenhouse app?
Your security is our priority. The Greenhouse app helps keep your accounts secure because:
- 128-bit encryption masks your sensitive information.
- When you close your app, the session ends.
- It’s covered by our Online Security Guarantee.
Still have questions?
Call us 24/7 at 1-877-246-3912