Why it’s important
If you’re trying to get your finances on track, a good first step is to know how you’re spending your money. Here are 3 steps to help you maximize every dollar you earn:
- Find out where your money is going. Add up your monthly bills, such as your mortgage or rent, insurance, utilities and phone. Then, track your personal expenses, such as groceries, gas, clothes, even coffee and snacks.
- Put your money where it matters most. Ensure you have enough money to cover your needs first, like paying your bills, paying down debt, and adding money to savings.
- Review your needs. As you review your expenses, consider whether an expense is something you need or something you want. This step will help you find areas to reduce your spending and find ways to save. If you find you don’t have enough money to cover your spending and allow for savings each month, think about ways to reduce your spending on the things you don’t need.
One Little ThingSM you can do: My Spending Report
Use My Spending Report to get a snapshot view of your monthly spending, budget goals, and averages over time. Your information is automatically updated, so you can monitor your progress and even make adjustments.
- If you’re a Wells Fargo customer and want a quick view of your top spending categories, simply sign on to your account, and access Money Map through the More menu.
- If you don’t already bank with Wells Fargo, take a look at how My Spending Report can help you track your expenses, budget goals, and averages using easy-to-understand charts.