All links below are to PDFs* unless otherwise indicated.
- December 2012 - This month, Risks & Rewards welcomes guest columnist Ramon Espinosa, Head of FX Analytics for Wells Fargo Foreign Exchange, who addresses the traditional economic subject of Purchasing Power Parity and its application to foreign exchange risk management.
Risks & Rewards archive
- November 2012 - This month, Risks & Rewards welcomes Derivatives Specialist David Gopal as a guest columnist to discuss “basis” in the foreign exchange and cross-currency swaps market.
- October 2012 - This month, Risks & Rewards welcomes Options Specialist Mark Morris as a guest columnist to discuss hedging an FX budget rate with options.
- September 2012 - This month, Risks & Rewards addresses an annual rite of passage for many companies — setting a budget rate for international operations — and offers an alternative approach that re-frames the challenge in an imaginative way.
- August 2012 - Value-at-risk, or “VAR,” is a popular technique for measuring and managing risk. The approach focuses on ‘downside’ risk, identifying the worst outcome likely to be experienced with a given level of confidence.
- July 2012 - Question: My company bills foreign purchasers of our goods in dollars. So does most of the industry. Why should I consider billing them in foreign currency?
- June 2012 - This month, Risks & Rewards welcomes Options Specialist Mark Morris as a guest columnist to discuss choosing an option strategy and the role that volatility plays in that choice.
- May 2012 - In our April Risks & Rewards column, we discussed the topic of establishing a hedge horizon over which a company might hedge forecasted transactions, be they foreign denominated revenue or expenses or some combination of both.
- April 2012 - Question: We are designing a hedge program to include forecasted revenues denominated in foreign currencies. How far into the future should we consider placing hedges?
- March 2012 - Question: What are your thoughts about incorporating options into a risk management program to hedge FX exposures?
- February 2012 - Last month, we examined the topic of FX risk sharing agreements and discussed some of the operational difficulties that these types of agreements can unintentionally introduce.
- January 2012 - This month, Risks & Rewards discusses some of the features to assess when considering an FX risk sharing agreement.
- December 2011 - This month, Risks & Rewards addresses issues related to using a rolling balance sheet hedge program.
- November 2011 - This month, Risks & Rewards discusses how a net investment hedge can help companies protect the value of a future dividend from a foreign sub.
- October 2011 - This month, Risks & Rewards discusses how a foreign exchange forward rate is derived and clarifies some common misperceptions about forward contracts.
- September 2011 - This month, Risks & Rewards welcomes guest columnist Jim Gervang, Managing Director, National Practice Leader International, Wells Fargo Insurance Services, the world’s fifth largest insurance broker. Enlarging our usual discussion of international risk, Jim discusses the challenges of selecting the best insurance for companies with operations around the world.
- August 2011 - This month, Risks & Rewards explores the concept of the carry trade and what it means for the FX market.
- July 2011 - This month, Risks & Rewards considers the emergence of the “Black Swan” phenomenon in the context of foreign exchange risk management practices.
- June 2011 - This month, Risks & Rewards draws on data from the recent Wells Fargo Foreign Exchange 2011 Risk Management Practices Survey to assess recent trends in FX hedging.
- May 2011 - This month, Risks & Rewards highlights the release of the new Wells Fargo 2011 Foreign Exchange Risk Management Survey.
- April 2011 - This month, Risks & Rewards once again welcomes Foreign Exchange Options Specialist Mark Morris who discusses the factors to consider when choosing between a forward contract and a collar as a hedge of foreign exchange risk.
- March 2011 - This month, Risks & Rewards reaches into the archives to reprise the topic of intercompany loans and their foreign exchange implications.
- February 2011 - This month, Risks & Rewards welcomes back Foreign Exchange Options Specialist Mark Morris to re-visit the concept of an “extendable forward” hedge.
- January 2011 - This month, Risks & Rewards welcomes as guest columnist Derivatives Specialist David Gopal who discusses the implications of global interest rate risk and opportunities to improve overall liability management.
- December 2010 - This month, Risks & Rewards welcomes as guest columnist Foreign Exchange Options Specialist Mark Morris who discusses the features and uses of an “extendable forward” hedge.
- November 2010 - Dave Napalo discusses the accounting treatment for derivatives designated as cash flow hedges when held at a target company during an acquisition.
- October 2010 - Dave Napalo discusses how the FX market can affect a company’s competitive dynamics relative to its peers.
- September 2010 - Dave Napalo discusses the reasons why a company would want to employ a hedge.
- August 2010 - Dave Napalo discusses the upcoming FASB revision dealing with the current guidance on hedge accounting.
- July 2010 - Dave Napalo discusses hedges and financial statement disclosures.
- June 2010 - Dave Napalo discusses some rules of thumb when dealing with risk management.
- May 2010 - Dave Napalo discusses a risk management lesson that can be learned from an American folk song.
- April 2010 - Wells Fargo Senior Risk Management Specialist Dave Napalo offers his thoughts on how a company can manage foreign exchange risk.
- March 2010 - This month, Risks & Rewards welcomes guest columnist Rick Friedl, Managing Director and National Practice Leader - Property & Enterprise Risk for Wells Fargo Insurance Services, the world’s fourth largest insurance broker.
- February 2010 - Wells Fargo Senior Risk Management Specialist Dave Napalo discusses how companies decide on an exchange rate when evaluating the accounting booking rate convention for foreign currency revenues and expenses.
- January 2010 - Wells Fargo Senior Risk Management Specialist Dave Napalo discusses the accounting issues that may arise with companies that operate on a deferred revenue model.
* You need Adobe® Reader® to read PDF files. Download Adobe Reader for free.