Wells Fargo Business Online® is offering the QuickBooks .iif download for your convenience only and it is only meant as a way to add transactions to your check register. Please carefully follow the below instructions as there are numerous issues and complications associated with the import of account activity through .iif. Intuit, the maker of QuickBooks, does not officially support the .iif download and will not provide technical support.
To download an .iif file, please follow these instructions:
- Choose an Account for which you would like to receive transaction activity.
- Click the Select button.
- Select the From and To dates of the data you would like downloaded. You can only select activity to download within the date range displayed. Since this is a data import, your QuickBooks software will not check for duplicate transactions. It is very important that you select a From and To date that is after the last transaction date in your QuickBooks register.
- Select the QuickBooks .iif option.
- Carefully review the QuickBooks Download Edit screen to ensure as smooth an experience as possible.
- Verify the Account Name presented exactly matches the corresponding account name listed in QuickBooks. If the name is not an exact match, highlight the text with your cursor and type in the exact account name. Please note: QuickBooks will create a new account entry in your software and possibly reject the download if the names and account type (bank or credit account) do not match exactly.
- Verify that the Date Range displays a From date that is the day after the last transaction date in your software register. To change either the From or To date, highlight with your cursor and type in the new date. Please note: While this verification will eliminate duplications due to the download function, you may experience duplications if transactions were independently entered through the QuickBooks check register feature.
- Review the default offsets for your debit and credit transactions offered by Wells Fargo. QuickBooks requires an offset for transactions in account activity. To change the default offset for either debit, credit, or both, highlight the text with your cursor and type in the new default offset. Once saved into spreadsheet format you will be able to manually update any offset for individual transactions to meet current expense accounts within your QuickBooks software. Please note: The offsets used in this download will create new expense accounts within your QuickBooks software. The individual Transactions may be moved to other accounts at a later date if you choose.
- Carefully review the Disclaimer at the bottom of the page before downloading the information.
- Click on the Download button.
- Your browser will display a dialog box. Select Save File and save it in a directory/folder. It is very important that you make a note of the file name and location of the directory/folder in the active window so you can find this file later. We recommend that you save the file in the QuickBooks directory or on the Desktop. If the "save to" dialogue box does not appear, please contact Wells Fargo Business Online at 1-800-956-4442.
- Follow steps 1 through 11 for any other accounts you would like to download. Each account downloaded must have a different file name.
- Once you have finished downloading all your account information, sign off from the Wells Fargo Business Online service.
- To manually update an offset for a specific transaction, open the appropriate file. Find the transaction and offset and type over the debit or credit offset. Repeat the process for other transactions. Save the file once you have updated all intended offsets. (Alternatively, you may import the transactions into QuickBooks first, and then move the offsets from the default expense account created in QuickBooks to the correct account.)
- From your QuickBooks software, open the account register for the account into which you would like to download your banking transactions. Go to the File/Utilities menu, select the Import function, find the corresponding file with the account information in the directory/folder where you saved it, and double click on the file.
- The information will be imported into your active register. Now, you can reconcile your accounts and categorize your transactions.