SAN FRANCISCO - May 20, 2011
Whether you’re planning to climb Mount Rainier or catch a Broadway show this summer, Wells Fargo online and mobile banking services, and an extended ATM network, can help you stay on top of your finances. Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE:WFC) offers a reminder of services and tools to help travelers manage their finances – especially at this time when budgets can be strained by rising gas prices.
"Gasoline prices have soared more than 25 percent over the past year and are expected to rise further in coming months,” said Mark Vitner, senior economist, Wells Fargo. “With gasoline prices rising so much more than incomes, consumers are having to find ways to cut back on other purchases. One area where consumers are cutting back is by curbing discretionary spending. People are still traveling but they are tending to be a little more frugal, maybe dining out at less expensive restaurants or shopping around for specials."
While traveling domestically, customers can manage day-to-day finances with mobile banking. Wells Fargo offers three easy ways to bank on the goincluding a mobile web site (WF.com), downloadable mobile applications (iPhone™, BlackBerry®, Android™-powered, and Palm®), and text banking to short-code 93557. Travelers can get a snapshot of their bank account details, pay bills from a mobile device, or transfer money to a cash-strapped loved one.
"As someone who frequently travels for business and pleasure, I know how important it is to have access to financial tools,” said Secil Watson, senior vice president, Wells Fargo Online Banking and Mobile Banking Services. "Wells Fargo offers a range of money management services to give customers flexibility and peace of mind while they're away from home. We know our customers want to keep track of their finances, and that's why we offer services such as My Money Map, where customers can see their finances in one place, mobile banking, alerts, and ATMs to keep them connected to their accounts, anywhere, anytime.”
Wells Fargo offers an array of products and services for cardholders who are traveling domestically or internationally, including instant ATM or debit cards, fraud monitoring, Zero Liability for promptly reported unauthorized card transactions, credit card replacement, emergency credit line increases and emergency cash. Customers with Wells Fargo consumer Visa© Credit Card can also choose to receive Rapid Alerts to stay on top of spending with quick text notifications.
Before You Go
- My Savings Plan® is a free online tool that provides Wells Fargo savings account customers with an easy way to save toward a goal – such as "vacation" – and automatically monitor progress. The online banking service My Money Map, a free interactive online tool that integrates My Savings Plan®, provides a dashboard view of a customer's financial picture using data from their Wells Fargo accounts, including Wells Fargo Credit Card, Debit Card, Checking and Savings accounts, and Bill Pay purchases.
- Help ensure your favorite things are protected while you are away from home with renters or homeowners insurance. You likely have a lot of personal property worth protecting, but your landlord’s insurance may not protect it in every unfortunate situation. Learn more about Wells Fargo's renters insurance before you leave for your trip.
- For international travel, exchange money before you go abroad to have local currency on-hand for taxis, tips, and meals. Wells Fargo's International Travel and Money Exchange informs travelers about another country's currency, commonly accepted methods of payment, ATM availability, and currency conversion. In order to save time and avoid hassles, Wells Fargo's online currency service provides customers with the ability to order cash either online (wellsfargo.com/foreignexchange) or by phone (800-626-9430). Upon their return to the United States, travelers can exchange leftover paper currency at a Wells Fargo banking store.
During Your Trip
- Wells Fargo and Wachovia customers can use both Wells Fargo and Wachovia ATMs to withdraw cash or make balance inquiries on their deposit accounts with no access fee. For travelers with smartphones, just “one-tap” on the Wells Fargo mobile banking application can activate the location sensitive ATM search capability and quickly find the nearest ATM. A text banking request to Wells Fargo (93557) can also quickly provide customers with the address of the nearest Wells Fargo ATM. Customers can also visit wellsfargo.com/locator or call 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557) for nearby ATM and banking store locations.
- Wells Fargo can provide an instant replacement ATM card or debit card at Wells Fargo banking stores if customers lose their ATM or debit card, but do not have time to receive a new one in the mail. If cards are lost, stolen or temporarily suspended, Wells Fargo can rush a replacement card to customers almost anywhere in the world. Customers can contact Wells Fargo toll free at 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557) domestically and collect at 925-825-7600 internationally.
- Avoid missed or late payments with Bill Pay while traveling. Before leaving town, automatic bill payments can be scheduled quickly and easily through the online bill pay service. If a customer forgets to schedule a bill payment prior to a trip, the customer can transfer money from one account to another and pay the bill with just a few clicks by logging onto the internet from many places in the world. To keep on top of finances if traveling for a long period of time, customers can also receive electronic bills (eBills) through the bill pay service. Also, mobile banking allows customers to take action on a bill almost immediately when it’s top-of-mind – whenever or wherever – so you can check it off your “to do” list the moment you think of it. Whether you’re commuting on the bus or subway, sitting at the airport, or exploring the countryside, you can use your mobile phone to pay your bills.
- Stay on top of account information with Account Alerts sent right to a customer's email address or mobile device. Depending on what information customers want to track, they can choose alerts for low balances, when a credit card payment is due, or a deposit is made. Wells Fargo Visa® consumer credit card customers who sign up for Rapid Alerts, which sends a text message alert to the cardholder’s mobile device when a credit card transaction meets trigger criteria set by the cardholder, such as when a transaction is used for an internet purchase.
- My Spending Report with Budget Watch is a free online money management tool that categorizes transactions and enables customers to track their spending by category so they can stay on budget even while on the road.
- For those exceptional situations where customers find themselves in a financial bind while traveling, Wells Fargo can temporarily increase their line of credit on their credit card or arrange for emergency cash for debit and credit card customers.
- Whether you’re on the road or enjoying a "staycation," Wells Fargo has numerous ways to protect customers from fraud – including monitoring transactions for unusual activity. Wells Fargo cardholders are protected by our built-in Zero Liability, at no extra cost. This protection provides Zero Liability if a card is ever used without the customer’s permission when promptly reported.
When You Get Back
- Stay organized and reduce the risk of fraud by using Online Statements, which help reduce the amount of paper mail waiting for you when you return home. According to Javelin Strategy & Research, an independent research firm, fraudsters continue to use traditional methods to gather information, including paper mail that may contain account numbers or other confidential information. Wells Fargo's multi-layered approach to online banking security makes going paperless through online statements a good alternative to receiving paper statements.
A little financial preparation and planning can help make a customer's trip a success. By offering these anytime, anywhere products and services, Wells Fargo is committed to helping ease customers' financial travel concerns so vacations can be enjoyed from beginning to end.
About Wells Fargo
Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) is a nationwide, diversified, community-based financial services company with $1.2 trillion in assets. Founded in 1852 and headquartered in San Francisco, Wells Fargo provides banking, insurance, investments, mortgage, and consumer and commercial finance through more than 9,000 stores, 12,000 ATMs, the Internet (wellsfargo.com and wachovia.com), and other distribution channels across North America and internationally. With approximately 280,000 team members, Wells Fargo serves one in three households in America. Wells Fargo & Company was ranked No. 23 on Fortune’s 2011 rankings of America’s largest corporations. Wells Fargo’s vision is to satisfy all our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially.